We already shared a tutorial regarding rooting of Sony Ericsson Xperia Smartphones. You can check the below tutorials for rooting your Sony mobiles.
But some of you might fear of being your costly smartphone brick. So, here’s a way with which you can restore your mobile back to its original state. This recovering of your Xperia can be done by using a tool called FlashTool.
* It can flash original Firmware Images.
* Install xRecovery, Busybox.
* Can Clean your device’s ROM by removing your desired apps.
* Clear Dalvik Cache.
* Can Root your device (but only if you have Android 2.1).
* Helps in Uninstalling Apps.
* Edit build.prop file of your smartphone.
How To Flash Original Firmware Image on Xperia and Restore to its Original State
1. Download the latest version of FlashTool from here [Link]
2. Download the compatible FTF file for your mobile phone.
For Xperia Play,
UK Generic.184 FTF file can be downloaded from here [Link]
Although the above FTF file should work for US and European Generic devices also but then also to be on safer side, download the compatible FTF file of your phone from here [Link]
For other Ericsson Mobiles, Head over to this [Link] and download the compatible Firmware files for your mobile.
3. Copy the FTP file that you have downloaded in Step 2 to firmwares folder in Flashtool as shown in below image.
4. Open FlashTool and click Flash button.
5. Select FTP firmware file and click OK.
6. Wait for some time till the process completes.
7. When the process is complete, you will get a popup message (Please don’t click on that message).
8. Unplug the USB cable from your computer.
9. Switch Off your device.
10. Press the Power button and holding it, plug the USB cable in the computer.
11. A green LED will appear.
12. You will get a popup message. Click ‘OK’.
13. You will see ‘Start Flashing’ Message as in below image.
14. When process completes, unplug your smartphone from computer.
15. You will now have your Xperia Mobile Bricked. Congrats 🙂 .